Willow Creak Blood Orange Cupcakes
|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Cooking Time||45 – 55 minutes|
|3 blood oranges / normal oranges||1 1/2 tsp baking powder|
|1 cup sugar||1/4 tsp baking soda|
|buttermilk or plain yoghurt||1/4 tsp salt|
|3 large eggs||80ml Willow Creak blood orange flavoured extra-vergin olive oil|
|1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour||whipped cream for serving – optional|
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Grate zest from 2 oranges and place in a bowl with sugar. Using your fingers, rub ingredients together until orange zest is evenly distributed in sugar.
- Supreme an orange: Cut off bottom and top so fruit is exposed, and orange can stand upright on a cutting board. Cut away peel and pith, following curve of fruit with your knife. Cut orange segment out of their connective membranes and let them fall into a bowl. repeat with another orange. Break up segments with your fingers to about 1/4-inch pieces.
- Halve remaining orange and squeeze juice into a measuring cup. You will have about 1/4 cup or so. Add buttermilk or yoghurt to juice until you have 2/3 cup liquid altogether. Pour mixture into bowl with sugar and whisk well Whisk in eggs.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently whisk dry ingredients into wet ones. Switch to a spatula and fold in olive oil a little at a time. Fold in pieces of orange segments. Scrape batter into pan and smooth top.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, or until golden and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then remove and cool to room temperature. Serve with whipped cream and berry compote if desired.