|Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time||25 minutes|
|1 large potato||2 tsp ground coriander|
|1 small cauliflower||1 tsp bicarbonate of soda|
|1 small red pepper||1 tsp chilli powder|
|1 medium onion||1½ cups/375ml water|
|5 spinach leaves (or 2 cabbage leaves)||1 Tbsp lemon juice|
|1½ cups/165g besan (gram/chickpea) flour||½ cup frozen corn kernels or tinned corn|
|3 Tbsp plain flour||vegetable oil for shallow frying|
|2 Tsp Garam Masala|
- Boil the potato until tender (not too soft), then peel and chop finely.
- Finely chop the cauliflower, red pepper and onion and shred the spinach leaves.
- Sift the flours, garam masala, coriander bicarbonate of soda and chilli powder into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the water and lemon juice. Stir to a smooth, creamy batter, adding water if necessary.
- Add the vegetables and mix in evenly.
- Heat about 2cm of the oil in a frying pan over a moderate high heat.
- With a spoon, make a ball of batter and drop into the oil. Fry about 6 at a time until golden and remove onto absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with sweet mango chutney or tamarind sauce.
- Test the oil with a piece of the batter. The batter should bubble rapidly but not brown too quickly.
- Pakoras can be served as a starter or as an accompaniment to the main meal.