|Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time||40 minutes|
|250g butter, at room temperature||2 Tbsp vanilla extract|
|100g (½ cup) caster sugar||melted butter, to grease|
|600g (4 cups) plain flour, sifted|
- Preheat oven to 150’C.
- Brush a rust tray with melted butter to grease, or use spray and cook.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the combined flour, beating on low speed until almost combined. Use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared rusk tray. Use a flat-bladed knife to smooth the surface.
- Prick the dough all over with a toothpick.
- Bake the shortbread in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and push the cutting tray down onto the baked biscuit tray.
- Set aside on the trays for 10 minutes to cool before removing the cutting tray.
- Transfer to the wire rack to cool completely.