South Indian Chicken Madras
|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Cooking Time||15 minutes|
|450-600g breast fillets, skinned, chopped & cubed||2-3 cloves fresh garlic|
|50ml tomato puree or paste||1/4 tsp ground turmeric|
|45ml vegetable oil||2 Tbsp lemon juice, preferably fresh|
|a pinch of ground fenugreek||1 onions, finely chopped|
|1/4 tsp ground fennel seeds||1 cup water|
|2 tsp ground coriander seed||2 fresh green chillies, seeded and chopped|
|2 tsp fresh root ginger, grated||4-6 curry leaves|
|1 tsp chopped chilli powder||salt|
|chillies||fresh coriander, to garnish|
- Mix the tomato puree, fenugreek, fennel, ground coriander, ginger, chilli powder, garlic, turmeric, lemon juice, salt and water together in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok, pot or large skillet (kahari) and fry the onion until golden brown.
- Add the chicken and stir for one minute, allowing the chicken to seal.
- Pour the spice mixture into the pan and stir thoroughly to cover the chicken with the sauce and stir for two minutes.
- Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh coriander and chillies.
- Serve hot with Naan bread or rotis.