Roosterkoek Pizza Dough
|Preparation Time||100 minutes|
|Cooking Time||15 minutes|
|300g flour||5ml salt|
|10g yeast||30ml olive oil|
|15ml sugar||200ml warm water|
- Mix the yeast and sugar together in a small cup with a little of the warm water and stir. The mixture should foam after a minute or two.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and salt, then add the oil and water while mixing continuously. When the mixture come together to form a dough, add the yeast and sugar and mix well.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough in a lightly greased plastic bag or a lightly greased bowl covered with a damp cloth and allow to rise for about an hour, or until it has doubled in volume.
- Depending on size of pizza you want, divide the dough in 2.
- Roll out the bread in a rustic round or square.
- Place on a baking sheet and cover with clingfilm. Leave to rise for another 15 minutes.
- Place the braai grid over evenly distributed, medium direct coals, and allow to heat for 5 minutes. Lightly grease the grid and place the pizza directly on it for about 10 minutes. Alternatively, place the baking shet in an oven at about 180C/350F for 15-20 minutes.
- When half the cooking time as elapsed, turn the roosterkoek pizza over.
- Add your preferred toppings.
- If you have a Webber, close the lid and allow to sit for 10min
- The roosterkoek are done when they are lightly browned, crispy on the outside, and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from the heat and serve!