Rooibos Smoked Leg and Thigh of Chicken with Marinated Cabbage and Mango-Tomato Salsa
|Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time||45 minutes|
|Ingredients||Red Cabbage Salad|
|8 Leg and 8 Chicken Thighs||100g Red cabbage, sliced finely|
|Olive oil, to rub||100g White cabbage, sliced finely|
|Loose rooibos tea||1 Carrot, julienned|
|Crushed pepper corns||100ml Red wine|
|Cape Herb and Spice sweet and sticky chicken seasoning||50ml Orange juice|
|Cape Herb and Spice sweet and smokey BBQ seasoning||2 Tbsp honey|
|Course flaky salt||1 Tbsp lime juice|
|Tomato-Mango Salsa||1 Tbsp olive oil|
|1 Mango or Paw Paw, peeled and diced||1 tsp fresh grated ginger|
|3 Tomatoes, peeled and diced||Crushed mixed spice (chilli, thyme, salt and pepper)|
|1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley|
|A splash of olive oil|
|Salt and Pepper to taste|
- Place all ingredients into a baking tray and coat with oil. Sprinkle with Chicken spice, pepper and rock salt.
- Place on a low heat in the oven and allow the legs to braise for 30 minutes until the meat softens (par-cooked).
- Remove from the heat, cool down on a rack so that all excess oil can drip off. When needed, place over indirect coals on a Weber or on a hob with a smoking tray (see Smoked Mash) and cook until the skin is golden brown and crispy.
Red Cabbage Salad:
- Add all veg ingredients into a bowl and toss to mix well. Cover with cling-wrap until ready to serve.
- Mix the wine, honey, lime juice, ginger, and olive oil in a separate bowl.
- Just before serving, toss the cabbage and pour over the dressing.
- Add additional seasoning and extras, such as toasted pumpkin seeds, beans sprouts, or whatever else you have handy.
- Mix the mango, tomato and parsley together.
- Marinade with lime, oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the hot baked chicken leg on a bed of cold marinated cabbage.
- Drizzle the salsa around the plate, garnish with potato crisps and coriander leaves.
Tip: Place the cabbage salad in a fridge over night to allow the cabbage to ‘bleed’, marinade, and soften.