Pasteis de Nata
|Preparation Time||40 minutes|
|Cooking Time||20 minutes|
|1 sheet puff pastry, thawed||2 cups milk|
|1 Tbsp butter,melted||2 Tbsp corn syrup|
|Filling:||½ tsp vanilla extract|
|½ cup sugar||1 stick cinnamon|
|3 Tbsp cornflour||Ground cinnamon, to taste|
|4 egg yolks|
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a square. With a brush, brush the entire surface of the dough with butter. Fold the pastry in half and brush the top with butter again. Repeat the process one more time and over in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and flatten with a rolling pinto the original pasty thickness.
- Using a disk cutter, cut out disks and flatten slightly with a rolling pin so that they will fit into the Portuguese tart pans. If the dough is too large, cut off the excess with scissors. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 230 °C.
- In a saucepan off the heat, combine the sugar and cornflour. Add the egg yolks and egg and whisk until smooth. Add the milk, corn syrup, vanilla and cinnamon stick. Mix thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat,whisking and scraping the bottom and sides of the pan. Simmer until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat. Strain through a sieve.
- With an ice cream scoop, spoon the filling into the tart pans. Smooth out the top of the filling with the back of a spoon.
- Bake immediately for 12 to 15 minutes or until the top is caramelized and the crust is crispy. Let cool before unmoulding.
- Generously dust with cinnamon before serving.