Melanzane alla Parmigiana
|Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time||45 minutes|
|4 large eggplant||30g basil (about a handful)|
|Olive oil for frying||250g mozzarella|
|8-10 ripe tomatoes or 1 x 400g tin Italian tomatoes||½ cup grated parmigiano or pecorino cheese|
|2 medium onion, finely chopped||Salt and Ground black pepper|
- Chop or drain the tomatoes well, and cook them with the minced onion and a sprig of basil. When they have softened, drain them and put them through a blender, then cook them a little more over low heat, without letting the sauce thicken too much.
- Salt the sauce when it is done and don’t add oil, as the eggplant will have absorbed enough in frying.
- Peel the eggplants and cut them into 1cm slices. Salt them and place them on a board or platter to absorb the moisture. After 1 hour rinse them and pat them dry..
- Heat a pan with a little oil to smoking point then fry the slices a few at a time, removing them from the oil while they are still lightly coloured. Alternately, place them on a sheet of and roast them in the oven until they brown slightly.
- Mince the remaining basil and slice the mozzarella into thin slices or grate the mozzarella.
- Take a 30cm diameter oven-proof dish that’s about 10cm high and spread a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce in it.
- Beat the eggs with 2/3 cup of the cooked tomato sauce and set aside.
- Arrange a third of the eggplant in the bottom of the dish, overlapping the slices slightly, and cover them with 2 tablespoons grated cheese, 5-6 pieces basil leaves, 2-3 tablespoons of the egg sauce, and half the mozzarella. Repeat this process with another layer.
- Lay down a third layer, covering it with the remaining grated cheese, egg-tomato sauce, and, if need be a little more tomato sauce to cover.
- Bake in a slow oven (140DegC) for about 45 mins, turning the heat up in the last few minutes to lightly brown the top. The dish should be eaten warm, not hot.