Lettuce ‘tacos’ with Jalapeno Chicken
|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Cooking Time||30 minutes|
|400g of skinless chicken breast, cut into small strips||A pinch of brown sugar|
|10ml olive oil||1 Crisp butter or iceberg lettuce (use the leaves)|
|1 red onion, finely sliced||1 bunch fresh coriander|
|400g tin of Italian tomatoes (whole or chopped)||A few sliced pickled jalapeno chillies to garnish|
|1 Tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapeno chillies||1 avocado|
|A pinch of dried chilli flakes||lime wedges|
|½ tsp cumin||salt and pepper to season|
|250g lean bacon|
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken pieces until they turn golden. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add a splash of olive oil and fry the onion until it softens. Add the tomatoes, cumin, sugar and jalapeno chillies and simmer for around 15 – 25 minutes until the tomato sauce starts to thicken around the edges of the pan.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon until crispy and set aside to cool. When cooled, cut into little pieces.
- Add the chicken back into the sauce and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lime over the chicken. This freshens things up and amplifies the flavours.
- Combine a few fresh rosa or cherry tomatoes and slices of spring onion to make a rustic salsa.
- Tossed these together with lots of salt and pepper and add to the lettuce tacos.