Italian Chicken with Ham, Basil & Beans
|Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time||100 minutes|
|8 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in||800g tomatoes (a mix of smaller yellow and red)|
|8 slices prosciutto or other dry-cured ham||175ml dry white wine|
|2 Tbsp Willow creak olive oil||400g can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained|
|2 whole heads garlic||large bunch basil|
- Season the chicken thighs all over with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pinch off 8 springs from the basil (about 3 leaves each per sprig) and lay one on top of each chicken thigh. Wrap each thigh in a piece of ham, with the ends tucked underneath.
- Heat oven to 160’C. Heat the oil in a large roasting tin over two of the burners on the hob.
- Add the chicken and fry for about 4 mins or until the ham is just crisp and the chicken is lightly golden. Turn and repeat.
- Meanwhile, cut the garlic bulbs in half around the middle and halve the tomatoes if small, quarter them if they’re big. Pick the leaves from the rest of the basil. Once the chicken has browned on both sides, add all of the tomatoes, half of the basil and the wine. Season and cover with foil and leave to cook slowly in the oven for 40min.
- Take out of the oven and turn the heat up to 220’C.
- remove the foil from the pan and stir the beans into the tomatoey juices.
- Return to the oven, uncovered, for 30min until the tomatoes, chicken, and garlic are starting to crisp around the edges and the chicken is very tender.
- Just before serving, tear the remaining basil roughly then stir through or scatter over the pan.