Grilled Sardines with Tomato Salsa
|Preparation Time||10 minutes|
|Cooking Time||20 minutes|
|8 large sardines, gutted and cleaned||2 Tbsp chopped green pepper|
|10ml lemon juice||50g tomato paste|
|400g chopped Italian tomatoes||a splash of Worcester sauce|
|1 large brown onion||30ml olive oil|
|course salt and cracked pepper, to taste||6 lemon wedges|
- Preheat the oven to 180’C. If cooking over coals, prepare the fire.
- Add 15ml of olive oil to the pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion and green pepper, fry until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the tomato, tomato paste, and Worcester sauce and cook in a frying pan until the tomato softens and the mixture becomes saucy. Set aside.
- Pat the sardines dry with paper towel and place onto a baking tray or braai grid. Season with olive oil, course salt, and lemon juice.
- Place under the grill or on the fire and cook each side for 2-3 minutes, being careful not to burn the fish.
- Remove the fish from the oven and place 2 sardines onto each plate.
- Spoon the tomato salsa over the top of the sardines and garnish with lemon wedges.
- Drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice over the top and serve hot.