Frozen Almond Dessert
|Preparation Time||40 minutes|
|Cooking Time||10 minutes|
|80g Almond pieces||6 egg whites|
|80g Caster sugar||250g caster sugar|
|Garnish:||2.5ml vanilla essence|
|Granadilla pulp or strawberry coulis||375ml fresh cream|
- Place the sugar into a heavy based pan and add 2 tbsp water. Allow to dissolve completely and then heat until the sugar starts creating large bubbles.
- Add the almonds and mix until the nuts have caramelised, and the mixture is a beautiful golden colour. Pour the almonds onto a heat resistant surface, or wax paper.
- Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk the egg whites in a double boiler.
- Whisk continuously until the mixture is warm and fluffy, then and the caster sugar and whisk until silky.
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla and whisk until cool but still fluffy.
- Roughly crush the caramelised almonds with a meat mallet or suitable device.
- Whisk the cream until stiff.
- Fold the cream and almonds into the egg white mixture and mix well.
- Pour into freezer proof containers and freeze overnight.
- Serve with granadilla pulp or fresh strawberries and/or berry coulis