|Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time||40 minutes|
|Filling:||Vegetable oil for shallow frying|
|150g pork mince||Black Olives for serving|
|4 slices bacon, chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, finely chopped||Pastry:|
|1 medium onion, finely chopped||560g/4½ cups plain flour|
|30ml/2 Tbsp tomato paste||250ml/1 cup water|
|5ml/1 tsp palm sugar||2 eggs, beaten|
|15ml/1 Tbsp water||10ml/2 tsp castor sugar|
|2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped||125g/ ½ cup butter, melted. Keep some aside for brushing the pastry|
|1 egg white, beaten|
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
2. Add the pork mince and cook for another 4 minutes or until browned, breaking up any lumps with a fork or wooden spoon.
3. Add the tomato paste, sugar and water to the pan and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
4. Add the eggs and set aside for 20 minutes to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Combine the water, flour, egg, sugar and butter in a food processor and process for 20-30 seconds or until the mixture comes together. Transfer the pastry to a floured surface and gather together into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Roll the pastry into a 30 x 20 m rectangle. Brush with some extra melted butter and roll up into a long sausage. Cut into 3cm sliced and cover with a clean tea towel to stop the pastry drying out.
- Place 1 slice of the pastry flat on a floured surface and roll it out into a 12cm circle
- Place 1 heaped tablespoon of filling into the centre of the pastry and lightly brush the edges with egg white.
- Bring 1 side over to meet the other and press the edges to deal. Decorate with a fork if desired. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
- Place onto a baking tray and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with black olives and sundried tomato