|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Cooking Time||10-15 minutes|
|2 Tbsp butter||1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (packed)|
|2 Tbsp flour||8 slices of French or Italian loaf bread|
|1 1/2 cups milk||350g ham, sliced|
|A pinch each of salt, freshly ground pepper, nutmeg||1 tsp Dijon mustard|
|1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese|
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Make the béchamel sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium/low heat until it just starts to bubble. Add the flour and cook, stirring until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously, cooking until thick. Remove from heat. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir in the Parmesan and 1/4 cup of the grated Gruyere. Set aside.
- Toast bread slices in oven: Lay out the bread slices on a baking sheet and toast them in the 200°C oven, a few minutes each side, until lightly toasted. For extra flavour you can spread some butter on the bread slices before you toast them if you want.
- (Alternatively, you can assemble the sandwiches as follows in step four and grill them on a skillet, finishing them in the oven with the bechamel sauce.)
- Build the sandwiches: Lightly brush half of the toasted slices with mustard. Add the ham slices and about 1 cup of the remaining Gruyere cheese. Top with the other toasted bread slices.
- Add bechamel, more Gruyere: Spoon on the béchamel sauce to the tops of the sandwiches. Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere cheese.
- Grill till bubbly: Place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, then turn on the grill and toast for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, until the cheese topping is bubbly and lightly browned.
- If you top this sandwich with a fried egg it becomes a Croque Madame.