Chicken Enchilada Rancheros
|Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time||30 minutes|
|2 chicken breast fillets, cut into strips||1 tsp oregano|
|1 fresh medium red chilli (Serrano or Cayenne)||Salt & pepper to taste|
|2 Tbsp cooking oil or butter||½ cup cooking oil (for the tortillas)|
|1 small white onion||8 corn tortillas (approx. 15 cm in diameter)|
|500g tomatoes||2 cups grated mozzarella /cheddar cheese mix|
|1 green bell pepper||Salsa:|
|3 cloves garlic||2 ripe tomatoes, chopped|
|1 cup mixed vegetable or chicken stock||1 red onion, chopped|
|1 tsp ground cumin||Fresh coriander|
|½ cup grated cheddar to serve|
Chicken and sauce mixture:
- Peel the onion and chop or dice it into (approx.) 1 cm pieces.
- Prepare the tomatoes by cutting out the stem portion and roughly chopping them.
- Deseed the green pepper and cut it into quarters lengthwise.
- Roughly chop the garlic cloves.
- Cut the chilli into small pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoons of oil or butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat and swirl to coat the pan. Add the chicken and cook until browned all over. Set aside.
- Add a little more oil or butter. Add the chopped onion and green bell pepper and cook them until they begin to soften. Add the tomatoes, stock, chilli, garlic, cumin and oregano and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so and adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken to the remaining mixture in the pan, cover and keep it over low heat to continue to cook.
Tortillas and Cheese:
- Add a little cooking oil to a frying pan (over medium heat) to lightly coat the bottom.
- Place a tortilla in the hot oil, and cook it for about 10-15 seconds. The oil should be barely sizzling.
- Flip it over, add ¼ cup cheese down the centre. The cheese will begin to melt. Cook it for about another 10 seconds and remove the tortilla from the pan and place on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
- Add a spoon of the chicken mixture on top of the tortilla. Wrap one side over the filling, and then the other side, so that the cheese and chicken mixture is now rolled up inside of the tortilla. Place the tortilla into a serving or baking tray.
- Quickly cook another tortilla and cheese, place on the paper towels to absorb some of the oil and add filling and add the chicken mixture. Continue until all tortillas have been cooked and filled.
- Combine the tomato, onion.
- Sprinkle the salsa over the enchiladas, top with a little cheese a sprinkle of chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Add to the taste by topping with Guacamole (optional)
- Serve hot.