Chicken Cacciatore with Mushrooms, Tomatoes, and Wine
|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Cooking Time||60 minutes|
|8 to 10 skinless chicken legs and/or thighs||2 Tbsp fresh minced Italian parsley|
|1 small onion, diced||1 sprig fresh rosemary|
|1 small carrot, diced||1 cup Porcini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced|
|3 ribs celery, finely chopped||½ cup red wine|
|2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped||400g chopped Italian tomatoes in juice|
|1 red pepper, cut into small squares||200g passata|
|Willow Creek olive oil, for cooking||salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste|
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Willow Creek olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy non-stick skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper and brown, in batches, for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken pieces to a bowl as they are done.
- Turn the heat down to medium, add the remaining oil and onion, carrot, and celery, as well as a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, parsley, rosemary, and red pepper. Cover, turn the heat to low and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until the mixture is soft and aromatic.
- Stir in the mushrooms, turn the heat back up to medium, and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are just tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the wine and bring to boil. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes, until the wine has reduced by about half.
- Add the tomatoes and Passata. Cook over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until the tomatoes have cooked down a little and smell fragrant.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan and stir so that they are well submerged in the tomato mixture.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve with pasta or rice.