Chicken Ballotine with Peppadew, Basil, and Feta
|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Cooking Time||15 – 20 minutes|
|Standing/Marinating||15 minutes to Overnight|
|70g Peppadew peppers, chopped||2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts|
|1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, with extra for the pan||100g feta cheese|
|1 garlic clove, crushed||200-300g streaky bacon|
|1 Tbsp soy sauce||kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|2 Tbsp fresh herbs, chopped (basil, parsley, marjoram, chives)||string, to tie|
- Mix half of the chopped Peppadew peppers with the olive oil, soy sauce, crushed garlic, and herbs to make a marinade, set aside.
- To create a pocket in the chicken breast, insert a sharp knife into the thickest part of the breast and make a 5 – 6cm incision without going through the opposite side.
- Mix the remaining cheese and Peppadew peppers.
- Stuff chicken with the cheese and Peppadew mix.
- Sprinkle chicken with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Wrapping the bacon around the breast to enclose the chicken and filling.
- Tie chicken breasts to secure filling with the string.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a shallow dish and coat both sides with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes (Can go over night).
- Preheat oven to 180’C.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium to medium-high heat in a stainless-steel pan or one that can be used in the oven. Add the chicken breasts and brown on each side. Transfer the pan to the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the thickest part of the breast registers 165’C.
- Serve with broccolini, a salad, or other greens and saffron rice or your favourite rice.