Butternut Gnocchi with Fresh Tomato Coulis
|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Cooking Time||40 minutes|
|Butternut Gnocchi||Tomato Coulis|
|500g butternut, halved and deseeded||75g butter|
|15g butter||1/2 tin Italian plum tomatoes|
|120g flour||50g tomato paste|
|1 egg yolk||1 cloves garlic|
|salt and cayenne pepper, to taste||1 tsp oregano leaves|
|a small bunch of basil, chiffonade|
|1 red chilli, deseeded|
|1 tsp sugar|
|salt and pepper to taste|
|1 spring rosemary|
|50g Parmesan, grated, for serving (optional)|
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Roast the butternut until soft, approximately 30 minutes, then remove the pulp. (You will need 375g of pulp).
- In a saucepan, melt the butter then add the butternut and cook until dry, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the flour, then cook for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove then stir in the egg yolk and season.
- Divide into small pieces then shape as desired. Cook in a saucepan of hot water until the gnocchi floats to the surface.
- Remove and drain, then place in a pot or bowl.
- Heat the butter until a hazelnut colour then add the tomato, tomato paste, garlic, chilli, sugar, salt, Basil and rosemary.
- Simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the stove and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the mixture in a blender then blend and pass through a sieve (if desired).
- Pour the sauce over the gnocchi and gently combine. Top with Parmesan and chiffonade basil leaves.