Biltong, Mushroom & Cheese Soup
|Preparation Time||25 minutes|
|Cooking Time||20 minutes|
|125ml butter||400ml milk|
|200ml beef stock||2 litre boiling water|
|250g black mushrooms, sliced||250ml coarsely grated mature cheddar cheese|
|10ml coarsely ground black pepper||200g finely sliced moist biltong (or shredded)|
|2ml whole nutmeg, grated||cream and port, to taste|
|2ml freshly ground coriander||100g feta or blue cheese, crumbled|
|250ml cake flour|
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Add the mushrooms and allow to cook through, stirring as needed.
- Add the stock and butter, along with the spices.
- Add the flour and heat, stirring continually until the flour begins to simmer.
- Mix the milk and boiling water, and slowly stir into the flour mixture.
- Stirring continually, heat slowly over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and half of the biltong.
- Do not bring the mixture to boil again. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Stir in a little cream and reheat just before serving.
- Ladle the hot soup into deep soup bowls and scatter a little biltong and blue cheese on top. A dash of port can be added to enhance the flavours.
- Serve with crusty white bread.