|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Cooking Time||15 minutes|
|1 large aubergine||salt, to taste|
|1/4 cup tahini, plus more as needed||1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil|
|3 cloves garlic, minced||1 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped|
|1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more as need||1/4 cup brine-cured black olives, such as Kalamata|
|1 pinch ground cumin|
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill.
- Preheat an oven to 190°C.
- Prick the eggplant with a fork in several places and place on the grill rack 4 to 5 inches from the fire.
- Grill, turning frequently, until the skin blackens and blisters and the flesh just begins to feel soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant to a baking sheet and bake until very soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and peel off and discard the skin.
- Place the eggplant flesh in a bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the eggplant to a paste.
- Add the 1/4 cup tahini, the garlic, the 1/4 cup lemon juice and the cumin and mix well.
- Season with salt, then taste and add more tahini and/or lemon juice, if needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and spread with the back of a spoon to form a shallow well.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the top and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Place the olives around the sides.
- Serve at room temperature.